Tuesday, 26 August 2014

Pen and Inktense on fabric

Test run on Linen : Inktense and fabric marker pen.

60°C pre-washed linen (no fabric softener)I used the crayon transfer method described in my previous post to get the rabbit's outline onto the fabric.  Then I covered small areas of the rabbit in a thin layer of Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera gel.  I apply this with a paintbrush for precision.





I applied Inktense colours to the wet gel, left the rabbit to dry as much as possible, heat set him with a hot iron, and this is the result (pre wash):



Now, let's see how he fares in the wash!
Last time my Inktense sketch disappeared, hopefully I have it right this time.

Thought it may be wise at this point to do a wash test

Before wash


Yellow spot: I added the aloe gel to the fabric with a paintbrush and then mixed the Inktense directly into it
Orange spot: Mixed aloe gel with Inktense in mixing dish and then applied to fabric
Bigger purple spot: Added water to the fabric with a paintbrush and then mixed the Inktense directly into it
Smaller purple spot: Mixed water with Inktense in mixing dish and then applied to fabric

Now, to the wash we all go…

OH DEAR!
The results are NOT good!


He's a ghost of the bunny he was.

And the spot test?  I cut the strip in half, and only washed half


Not good!!

I am going to now try fabric medium which I have on hand from the wonderful lino printing class I took with Hey Crafty at the Consortium Winchester.
You can see my peacock here - GREAT fun!!!





Ha!
That works a treat!  And the fabric still has a lovely soft handle, with not a smudge of that 'plastic' feel you get from Dylon Image Maker.  The right hand piece I washed HOT, with soap and seriously rubbed it.  Colour did not budge.  Oh happy days

So, after much trial and error, I have found the perfect way to use Inktense on fabric so that it is washable once that fabric is sewn up into clothing.
I colored directly on dry fabric with Inktense
I applied a thin layer of Textile Medium over the Inktense with a paintbrush, working the colour as I went to get rid of the lines that were visible where I had drawn on the Inktense.
You need to work on each colour separately or you will end up mixing colours.
I have gone over the ghostly bunny again, using this method.  Once he is dry, I will heat set him, scan him & then see how the wash test works out.  
Look out for this post.








No comments:

Post a Comment